But I thought this week, I’d write about 8 ways a husband can make a wife happy. Feel free to share this list with your man and highlight the ones you especially like. And please, add a comment if I have overlooked one of your favorites.
1. Make talk time a daily habit. Don’t allow yourself to become so busy that you can’t spend 15 minutes a day talking with your wife. By the way, the last 15 minutes of your day when you’re utterly exhausted don’t count. If possible, use dinnertime as a place for conversation. If dinner doesn’t work, maybe it’s a five minute phone call at lunch and 10 minutes sitting on the sofa in the evening.
2. Hug, cuddle, and kiss throughout the day. Remember the affectionate way you would hold her hand, put your arms around her waist, and kiss her softly while you were engaged? Do that again and again. Remind yourself to romance and court her physically with a steady flow of affection. But remember, the goal of all your hugging and cuddling isn’t to have sex that night. It’s simply to be physically close (which will naturally lead to more sex throughout the week).
3. Write her a love note. It doesn’t have to be pure poetry to make her heart flutter. Write down the things you appreciate about her. Why are you glad you married her? Did she do something last week that you really liked? How is she doing a good job as a mother?
4. Take her on a coffee date. Let her know you want to hear all the details of her day over a nice, hot cup of coffee. If you have younger children, arrange for someone to watch the kids for an hour or two. On the date, hold her hand, open the door for her, and brag about her to the barista.
5. Tell her she looks beautiful. What’s a common question that little girls ask? Do I look beautiful daddy? It’s a question that grown women still wonder about. Women tend to be hard on themselves regarding their looks. We are afraid we don’t measure up in your sight. But if you look into your wife’s eyes and tell her she is beautiful, you will make her day!
6. Help with the household duties. If you want to make your wife mad, say something like “Oh, I see you’re doing your annual vacuuming” (I know this from personal experience). But if you pick up around the house, help in the kitchen, and yes even vacuum without being asked, your wife will be incredibly thankful.
7. Notice what she worries about and reassure her. Your wife is a security seeker. Maybe she’s worried about an upcoming move, a child’s development, or financial pressures. Strengthen yourself first in the Lord so you can then encourage your wife. Hold her and reassure her often that everything is going to be okay.
8. Open up to her about yourself. The strong, silent type works in the movies, but not in real life. Your wife wants to hear about your life. She wants to know what is making you happy and what is stressing you out. This is how she connects with you. She actually cares about what you had for lunch and the strange thing you saw on the way home. Don’t reply to your wife’s questions with one word answers. Elaborate.
Which one is your favorite? I personally like #1: Talk time. Anything you’d add to the list?